Last updated on September 21, 2020
The content on this website is specific to the process of becoming licensed in the United States. In the United States, there are three components to becoming a licensed architect:
The first two of these categories are not the focus of this website. This website is all about Step 3, the Exams.
The Architectural Registration Exams (ARE), are six exams that you are required to pass in order to become a licensed in architect. Many states will have an additional exam requirement relevant to state-specific issues, such as in seismic or high-wind areas.
The Architectural Registration Exams
- Practice Management (80 items)
- Project Management (95 items)
- Programming & Analysis (95 items)
- Project Planning & Design (120 items)
- Project Development & Documentation (120 items)
- Construction & Evaluation (95 items)